Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Lady in red: Emi okunkun (Evil Spirit)

I should have known it was going to be trouble when Kike decided to come with us to Lola's church. You see before Kike got religion (Aka born again), she was pretty much the agbero in our midst. Very demanding, impatient, and generally loud. But ever since she found Jeezus (Somebody shout halleluuuuuuuayah *sounding like GO- pastor Adeboye), She's been the coolest of the bunch. Now, whenever 'awon akoshibero' (Troublemakers according to her) want to look for her trouble, she breaks into this familiar song (Yio sa 'golo loja pe, yio sa'golo de naija o… *he will pick cans all the way to naija- sorry I lack a better interpretation) at disgustingly ear splitting volume. But this post is really not about kike. It's about an experience a few years back at a white garment church here in the DMV.

You see, we attended a white garment church when I was very very young, and some of the memories linger. I was however unprepared for the episode that awaited me this particular Sunday. Our friend Lola is a great girl. The epitome of humility, very beautiful ati bee bee lo(and so on and so forth). Kike is constantly on her case to leave the church, saying it's unbecoming of a pretty chic like Lola. As far as I'm concerned, every human being is free to go to whatever church, and sit under whatever ministration floats their boat. Kike however took it upon herself to call Lola every Friday to ask her if she was still aspiring to be an 'olusho' (Pastor) in her church. Of what business of hers it is, I do not know. Again I digress.

We arrive at their church, to show some support for our friend, as it was her family harvest Sunday. We are asked by some people at the door to take our shoes off. The dialogue goes something like this:

Church Member (CM): 'Good morning, sisters. Please take your shoes off. We have a special place for them'.

Me: *Looking confused, 'Ermm.'

Kike: 'For wia? Abeg let's go joo', grabbing my arm quite painfully. A seemingly more senior CM rushes towards us, arms outstretched in an attempt to stop us.

Senior CM: *Now speed walking after us, "'scuse me, 'scuuuse me…"

Me: *Trying to at least acknowledge the lady. Kike yanks me forward even sharper.

Kike: 'Omo face front o. Me I am not removing these Jimmy chos o. They're gonna have to amputate my leg to get it off. Ole people!.'

Me: 'ahn ahn Kike, this is the house of God. Why would anyone steal your 'Jimmy chos'? Whareva!' *I roll my eyes at her

Kike: *About to launch into a sermon, hands on hips…. 'see this mugu girl o. Shey u are not…"

Senior CM: "'scuse me, ladies. May 'hi' have your shoes please? We will keep 'hit' safe for you during the service, 'hand' you can collect them when you 'hare' leaving…" Apparently, Miss lady has 'H' factor too, one of my pet peeves. It drives me absolutely bonkers.

Kike: 'ah ah please why are you people so desperate to collect my shoe ehn? Am I the only one in this church? …' *I scan quickly to confirm that we are indeed the only ones with shoes on. I begin taking my shoes off. I hate the attention we are drawing. Kike continues 'ehn, you take your own shoe off, but me o, emi Kikelomo, I am not removing this shoe today.'

Me: 'Kike, wetin dey worry you nau? You wan make dem chase us comot?'

Kike: 'Asko o' (one of her favorite comebacks)

I see another seemingly more senior church member call the "'scuse me' CM" away from us, gesturing for her to leave us alone. At this point, I am so ashamed of myself, and wondering why in God's name I agreed to bring Kike, I should have left her dramatic ass behind. I regain my composure and attempt to look aloof while Kike stares down anyone and everyone who dared to give us questioning glances. If I wasn't so embarassed, I might have laughed out loud. I made eye contact with Lola in the choir area, who looks very ticked off. She asks me with her eyes what the hell Kike's issue was, but I shrugged, and gestured a 'you- know- she's- mental' kind of thing. But was the god of drama done with me yet?- Far from it!. Soon after, they started to pray. Apparently, someone had 'seen' a great mishap/woe about to befall some choir members for something or the other, so, the whole church erupted in loud prayers. I being the anglican girl that I am (I grew up anglican, and we don't say loud prayers- at least not in the church I went in Naija), I stood up with the rest of the congregation, head bowed, saying nothing. Kike looks on stonily.

Some Random chic to our left- SRC: "ahhhhhhh…. Jeeeeeesuuuuuuu… emi mimo emi mimo mimo mimo….' Kike happens to be sitted to my left as well.

Kike: 'Omo, warn your cousin o, if she jam me with this gra gra, I go woze am…'

SRC: '… Olusho ti wipe a ko gbodo wo aso pupaaaaaaa…' (Pastor has said we must not wear the color red)

Kike: 'tehehehehehehe… Ojay, dem dey follow you talk'. I look sharply at Kike, to admonish her for such childish behavior. Then it hits me. I was the only one wearing a red top in the congregation - bright red, halter top.

Kike: 'Ojay, ani dem talk say you be winsh…' tehehehehehehehe

If there's one thing I know about the white garment church, it's that drama begets drama. If you start misbehaving when someone is in a trance, you will be singled out. Now I'm getting irritated, as more attention is being drawn to us. Me, obviously for wearing red, and stewpid Kike for laughing like a raving lunatic.

Woooah lawd! What's a girl like me to do? Display my agbero side? Or continue to act like a mumu (according to Kike)?

TBC

31 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am very entertained! Ehn! That was really good sista gurl. Kike sounds superrrr crazie men! Chei! So what did you do? You this girl, you have started with your story shakara abi? Shey you wan make I come kiss u ni? Ha! I beg come and finish the torie o.

Ms.O said...

lmaooooooooo!!!!1..I dont think I have ever been here..but that was hilarious!!! I like Kike, she sounds like one of my friends. we need the story to finish!!!

Rebirth said...

wow....... i like Kike men!...... lol

btw, pls do add the link, u dont need permission darling

sandra said...

This is too funny... I was looking for your e-mail adress on your blog so i could send you an e-mail about the baby clothes but could not find it. Do you live in maryland?

Kookie said...

Clearly you are so shameless as to wear a red top in church YOU HUSSY...LOL...

I once was told to return home from church when I was 15 because I was wearing whit pants and black underwear (they could see the outline of my underwear)!!!

Anonymous said...

Ah am rolling lmao
funny sturves

Anonymous said...

lol!I don dey laff for here before the post even finished self!
this is what you call drama unlimited...please I beg you complete this gist o!...it is tew sweet!

LG said...

buhahahahaha @ red top'
abegi' come finish d tori jor'

Yewande Atanda said...

Great! Looks like the remix of Agbero's church experience

http://agbero.blogspot.com/2008/06/emi-okunkun.html

~Sirius~ said...

LMAO...Kike is out of this world.

Nefertiti said...

Temite: My sweerie! Thanks a bunsh. Me I want this kiss o! I am tempted not to conclude the story... lol.

@ Ms.O: Thank you so much for visiting, lady. Hope you were entertained? Trrrrrrust me, you don't have a friend like Kike. I used to wish I never met her back in the day. She was full of drama, and got us in trouble whenever we went out. Please visit more often.

@Funms-the rebirth: You like her? I fit sell am o, 500 bucks...lol Link added, and welcome back again, babes. Always nice to have u.

@ sandra: Thank you, girl! See me in Camera ;-) e-mail addy is on the page.

@K: LMAO... Girl, it's hot as hell in July in the DC area. There was no wind whatsoever. I needed some breeze. I was tempted to wear an almost backless black top. Now that would have been worse as i would have been in all black. LOL @ ur church experience. You should have asked them how their eyes roamed to your panties area... rubbish people!

@nyja beauty: Thank u, mama!

@NoLimit: Yes o! Kike IS Ms drama unlimited! Won't keep you waiting too long.

@LG : Thanks for stopping by, lady. I promise I won't keep you in suspense.

@ Yewande Atanda: ROTFLMAO! I just read agbero's post. I didn't go that far back into his posts. I read the flying monkey one, and that was hella funny! Mine was not as crazy as that though. This IS the USA. They'd be seeing my 'lawyers'. Thanks for stopping by!

@ ~Sirius: Girl, you ain't never lie... She's full of Drama.

@ Everyone: Thanks y'all!

Anonymous said...

LMAO...I dey read this thing for work, and like three peps dey tell me I dey hav too much fun. I just dey laugh anyhow. I see you must know Pastor B.
Omo, I like Kikeooo.
I beg hurry and finish the tori.

LusciousRon said...

I love Kike o! please conclude this story now.
The church reminds me of my cousin's church. My dad used to allow us go with her for Easter and Xmas.

Rayo said...

winchy! u sef u for kno say u no suppose wear red o cele, anyhoos me i dnt think there's anytn that can drag me there oh. i like kike

Buttercup said...

Damn, kike seems like a handful!

I wuda left the church o, i hate attention being called upon myself, negative attention, that is.

Buttercup said...

Damn, kike seems like a handful!

I wuda left the church o, i hate attention being called upon myself, negative attention, that is.

Anonymous said...

I did not laff oh!!!

exschoolnerd said...

lol..ur friend kike is a case..but i like her jare

ShonaVixen said...

lmao....gurl please update us soon please

Unknown said...

oh gosh! first time here...pls update...too funny...

won ti riran si e abi? lol

Geebee said...

Gurl, i can imagine ur fear. I actually heard they strip girls naked sometimes in such churches all in the name of casting out demons. Probably they saw ur 'red' clothing as a dent on their 'white' holiness. So wetin come happen now?

Funny enough my parents attended 'cele' back in London in the early eighties. I don't think it's that weird over there with their white garment churches.

aloted said...

oh my word...lol...this is my first time here and i am laffing my head off...hehehehe..

ur friend Kike reminds me of Jenifa (seen the movie?). lol

pls pls wat happened afterwards...

will definitely be back

Unknown said...

`Luv your wrting style o
hahahahah Kike reminds me of a friend of mine way back in high school.

Nefertiti said...

@Anonymous: Ah! me I no dey dia o. You know say economy hard.

@ LusciousRon: Kike is on sale for 500 bucks. How did you cope at ur cuzin's church? I'm glad my parents saw the light.

@ rayo: See this babe o, na me and you dey inside the airforce nah, I see you for egbe last nite...lol JK. How was I to know that? I was just feeling like a hot latina...lmao

@Buttercup : Kike IS a handful! Me and u both, girl. I hate any kind of attention. I just like to blend in.

@rethots: why u strong face nah? Oya abeg no vex.

@exschoolnerd : She is in the clearance section o. but I think I will sell her off to the highest bidder.

@ShonaVixen: Soon gyal, very soon.

@s.chic : hmmm how u take know? U sure say u no dey inside awon 'ajagun'? lmao... Thanks for stopping by. Visit often, lady

@ gbengasile: Nekked ke? God forbid bad tin. Dem for see 2 agbero for inside dat place if dem try nekked me.

@aloted: Really? Well, thanks for visiting! you should visit more often ;-) I hate nigerian movies actually. so nah, aint's seen jenifa. Will update soon.

@ Olamild: Thank you babes, I don't think I've stalked you before. Update coming soon

Miss Definitely Maybe said...

kike is a nut case
why would you go to a church if you not going to 'participate' did she think she was going to the cinema lol

Scarlet said...

luved it!! luved it!!! please dn't keep us waiting too long

Oyinkansola said...

Lol..Ur Friend kike sounds like a legend
I like her and please finish the story now

Nigerian Drama Queen said...

Kike sounds like my kind of girl! She has the 'no-send' attitude...lol. Chei, so what did you do? Wow cant wait for the continuation!

ShonaVixen said...

waiting for the update!!

ibiluv said...

everyone deserves a Kike in their life..............she's crazy

red i na white garment church???

na you find dia trouble......the colour too opposite.....*evil grin*

~Sirius~ said...

Happy New Year Nefertiti!