Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Note to my sistas- Wife, not just bride.

You know when I first started blogging, I promised myself I would never reveal the real me. That I'd just write stories I make up in my crazy head (some of it do have some element of truth by the way. Not all, but some) But somehow, blogville is so filled with brilliant minds, provocative topics, that I let parts of me out with every comment I leave on all your blogs. While I'm not promising to keep writing about issues like the one below, that mean a lot to me, I need to get this off my chest, and what better place to share, than here with you.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I've seen it so many times. The wistful eyeing of the train. The envious looks at her, wondering why she's better than you. "She don't deserve him", you say. "I'm better than her"...

I'm talking about you, the eternal bride. You want to wear the white dress, carry the bouquet, dance into the grand ballroom, your groom in tow. You want to have everyone oohing and ahhing at you wedding cake, you want to make people fall in love with your first dance. You want to be the 'madam' of your household, not so? Well I got news for you. You ain't...

At least not until you realize that a wedding is very different from a marriage. Let me get a little personal. You see, Mr. Neffie (According to Temite) and I dated for 5 yrs before we got married. Everything was fine until our parents got involved (Doing in-law type stuff - very annoying). At this point, I was 2months deep into my "Bad gyal" phase (I hear it's a 6month to a lifetime period in a chic's life, when she feels like a bad ass b!tch) it was raining men, and I was loving the attention from the opposite sex. Infact, some of my friends would say "Girl, u ain't all that. How come all the fine ass brovas up in here wanna talk to u?". This was the time that Mr Neffie popped the question (I'll tell you HOW he popped the question- a story for another day). I remember feeling very confused. I mean I loved this man with all my heart, here he was on one knee (Something he swore he'd never do lol) asking me to be his wife. In one ear I hear bad ass neffie "HUH? WTF? Hell naw gyal! u is having way too much fun. He tryna cramp ur style. Hell Naw! He enjoyed his single status all this while, and just when u are about to have all the fun, he gon come up in here, looking all sober, talking 'bout "Will you make me the happiest man in the world" Well the answer is Hell naw...ermmm at least not yet" In another ear, I hear Nef. My good girl angel "AWWWWWWWW, don't cry don't cry, he is so cute! YES YES YES! What are you waiting for? I remember I used to have panic attacks at my job then. I'd literally have to take breaks to steady my heart and breathing. I was hella scared. Bad Neffie would say things like "Gurl, u know ur ass is toast. You are stuck on the same damn channel the rest of ur life. No more 'sampling' for you. Look at that Foin ass brown skin brova. He hella fine, BUT u all hitched now, Nope, can't be talking to him" (Did I mention she's a ghetto fabulous chic?) I would have images of an old me, saggy breast, wrinkled face, and it would send my heart racing. And then, all of a sudden, it hit me. I wasn't sure I was ready to be married, but I didn't mind having the rock on my left hand, and being the envy of the party. I wanted the white dress, but I wasn't ready to be a help-meet.

Recently, some friends came to visit me. One of them constantly asks me, "So how does it feel to be married"? Almost like she wants to hear horror stories. After they saw a day in my life, she said she had a talk with herself, asking if she was ready to be submissive, let the in-laws have their way, whether or not they are right, bring another man's food to the table, wash dishes when he's done, be responsible for someone else, all while having a full time job and doing an MBA. She said her answer to herself was Hell Naw! Some days, when I speak with my single friends, and they are like 'Oh I'm going to houston this weekend for a wedding, then I'll stop at ATL on my way back', I so badly want to be able to just up and leave, but I can't. Not becos the Mr. will say no, but becos the logistics is just tiresome. After a while, I put the thot to rest. Plus I'm a homebody anyways. I'd really just rather be home with the Mr.

Marriage to me is like a text book. Each chapter is a different language. When you have mastered chapter 1, Chapter 2- infinity is there to master, and new editions of this textbook come out everyday. It takes work, but is beautiful if nutured. Sometimes they make you so mad, you start to practice your alibi in the mirror in anticipation of a homicide, and sometimes you love 'em so much, u wanna give them everything you've got, and then some. I have read on a blog (I forget now whose) that you need to shine ur eye when entering a marriage if not, love will flog you ehn, ur eye go red. So true. I have butterflies for Mr. Neffie, but I am too smart a woman to think I am in this by my own doing. I realize that God has a hand in this. Anyone who knows what volatile temperament I used to have, knows that I'm a work in progress, and I have come such a long way from that young girl who thot she was a bad ass. Marriage matures you. It's either you mature,or you fall apart. I pray for everyone of my sistas searching for their Adams, that he will find you, and when he does, I pray that you will be ready to be a wife, not just a bride.

40 comments:

bumight said...

FIRSTTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TEMITE WHERE ARE YOU??!

bumight said...

Babe, you hit the nail on the head.
first, i have to say blogville does that to you. you wont know when u start revealing part of urself. they claw at ur heart - just as im doing now. hehehe

there are so many things i want to write in this comment, but i dont want to tell my life story cos i know people read comments :)

lets just say at a point, i thought I was ready just because i was in a relationship for so long. Man, it takes the grace of God, so much so that it cannot be overemphasized.

lol @ practicing ur alibi in the mirror!

bumight said...

I'm second and third too!

Scarlet said...

Bumight from where??? gerrout i'm 2nd jo!
Nefertiti it is like someborri has been telling you my gist o! cuz am in a sort of similar situation.
Thank you for sharing.it's helped me see things from a different perpective

Anonymous said...

BUMIGHT - GO AND STUDY. Awww Sister Nefs, this was tew CUTE. and I am second. arghhhhh.
Sis, I am so loving this and you wont even believe how incredibly poignant this your post is to me right now. It speaks so much and I am so glad you chose to show a little of yourself. I adore you tres tres much. Although mine is completely the other way, I dont want the wedding(that is for my mother) I just want the companionship and the sanctioned sex and having a partner. Although I will not be submissive, I will be kind...or somethinkg like that. Anyhoos, I dont even know o jare. Do u really have to do the submission part. I cannot do that. I simply cant. not my personality at all. I dont know.

Kookie said...

Bumtight please I'm third... I love how you put it out there that the bride stuff is so cute but after the wedding you have to be wifey...

If someone ever proposes to me I hope I remember this advice and I dont get caught up in the whole Im going to be a bride thing!

Anonymous said...

so agree with you on the blogger thing just making you drop your defences once in a while.....

that's another perception blown out of the water then.. I'd always imagined you as some very strong willed, hard nosed, me-against-the-guys person - not a submissive, managing-the-inlaws successfully whilst juggling many balls and being a help-meet to the Mr kinda person.....

I'm sure this should put some perspective on the whole bride-wife thingy for those out there -- Thanks for sharing..

QMoney said...

hmm,i saw dis post cos u told FFF u wrote sumtin similar.the part that struck me d most was marriage is like a book where every chapter is written in differnt languages.
this marriage business ehn.....

Afrobabe said...

So nice of you to share this...Marriage is soooo scarey to me yet I want it so bad..crazy huh...

As soon as someone gets close enough to say lets get married, I just panic....

but taking it one day/one capter at a time seems the way to go...

~Sirius~ said...

Wait......you are married?!!!!!

How come I never sensed that...................off to re-read!


PS: The blogspot bug caught me too....i had no plans to reveal any side of me, but......a couple of months down the line.....

ShonaVixen said...

Bumight is so not studying!!!..LOL!!
Firstly I so hear you about letting a part of you come out, as much as I try not to let a certain part of me come out..viola, once on the keypad and going with the flow, I let it out though sometimes!
Thanks for sharing this and yeah like Afro m so scared of marriage, badgurl Shona says a whole loada ish..but loving your post hon and thanks for sharing!!
Gosh somehow I didn't know you were married...

Beulah! said...

Nice one Nef!. Marriage is not just in the occassion, it is in the life after.

Flourishing Florida said...

seriously, i didn't know you are married oh. ha. u try oh. if not for this post, i wouldn't have guessed. ur secret agent ways good ojare.

my dear, dis marriage thing, na God oh. i was telling my friend d other day dat marriage is so funny. one min u r so happy with ur husband, u want to eat him up. d next min, u r so angry, u want to screm and scream and scream! one thing i know is dat my husband really really wants to make me happy. i really matter 2 him, & daz so comforting wen am mad. it's n times wen am at my lowest dat he provides me wit d strength dat makes me cherish him so much. I thank God everyday 4 him. i really do

Rita said...

I think we need to reserve 1st and 2nd position for Bumight and Temite (in no particular order). Any other person that comes in should just say THIRD!

This is really nice Nefertiti. I especially felt the words "Marriage to me is like a text book..." you really used the right analogy. I also liked when you said "It's either you mature,or you fall apart..."

I look at myself now and wondered if I would have been able to cope if I got married 4 years ago. I say a definite no. It requires maturity in the mind and the willingness to let go sometimes.

Rebirth said...

u never sounded married...........

anyway thanx for showing this side to us. I am always glad to read from married people cuz u guys make me understand what i'll face when im married. this post is so right on....... marriage goes way beyond the wedding day... thanx for sharing

Oyinkansola said...

Awwww, i totally agree with you
Marriage isnt all about the fabuolous wedding, it takes a lot more than that
I swear i didnt know you were married
this post has helped me a lot in a seeing as i am in a similar dilema

ibiluv said...

Married....would never have guessed

good advice-a textbook it is

my people say......ile oko-ile eko

marriage is like higher learning

Anonymous said...

Gurl, you know that's me right there. Am so ready for a wedding, just not ready to get married. I already know what I want my hall, gown,ring, flowers etc to look like, but when I look at you married people, I realise it aint easy, so I chill my ass out and remind myself that there's no hurry.
I was saying just the other day that marriage even scares me o!
I'll do like you said and enjoy being single while I can
My next trip is to Miami, I'll tell you all about it when I get back, lol :-)
Great post, love it

Anonymous said...

Babes...u r so right on the point. I guess its mixed feelings when you see married couples living the life and I wish I could be like them and then on the other hand, you see married couples that are fighting everyday and I'm like lia lia mi I no want this. Its definitely a growing process and when it happens for me it does, no hurry there and just like you said dearest nefie, when he does find me, I pray to be ready as a wife and not a bride.

I'm sure it took a lot of courage to post this, I admire that in you. Great JoB!!!

LusciousRon said...

Wow. Right on point. I guess I am not ready at this point in time to be a help meet. Thank you for this insight

I think it will save some mistakes being made and stop a few people from being hurt.

LusciousRon said...

Wow. Right on point. I guess I am not ready at this point in time to be a help meet. Thank you for this insight

I think it will save some mistakes being made and stop a few people from being hurt.

Buttercup said...

awww nefie! im glad u shared this..i understand a lil bit more bout marriage now..

u r one uber cool wife, u know that?

mwah!!!!

H2O-works said...

I actually want to say somn but don't know how to say it...lol..u've said it real well...marriage is way more than the wedding

ciao
....H2O

Kitten said...

I love this post. You are absolutely right. Too many just want to get married to fulfill a childhood fantasy of being in sparkling white dress, flowers, people...

And very little thought is put into "the rest of my life" part.

I've been married and divorce. And I found out in a short amount of time that marriage is not a bed of roses.

I'm in no rush to get married. I'm taking my time to find the right guy because I know what's involve.

Favoured Girl said...

This post is so on point. A lot of my friends ask me "so how is married life" and I try to be honest, not scaring them off or anything, just letting them realise that it involves compromise, your priorities change and while you enjoy the friendship and benefits, there are also issues and conflicts. I agree with you that marriage matures you. For me, it's been like a mirror that allows me to really see myself.... Well done for submitting and dealing with the in laws. Girl it's not easy at all, I'm going to write a post about it soon...

@ Temite: YES, you do have to do "the submission part". It doesn't come naturally to anyone, but we learn.

Chookz said...

Marriage is not about the wedding, joys of marriage far outweigh the joys of single-hood. Submissiveness & respect should not be tasking, a man will always put his submissive wife first unless he is wired wrongly.

That's why everyone (men included)should go for pre-marital counselling so they know how to deal with spouse, in-laws, finance, communication, affection, companionship, support and sex. If you connect with your spouse in these areas and don't allow yourself to get bugged down by realities of life and live a little for each other it can be a very pleasant experience not the horror that it sometimes is.

.. said...

LMAO@ the bad ass Neffie being a ghetto fabulous chic.Thanks for sharing.

Nefertiti said...

Bumight: Well, I am I glad you made the right decision. It's certainly not a factor of how long, but how well.

Scarlet: Maybe somebody has lol. I'm glad I was able to give you a different perspective.

Temite: Of cos you do have to be submissive. Writefreak's post on her second blog might help you see things from another perspective. I'm not too 'spiritual' but I've proven it in my marriage, that submission IS infact needed. It's never easy, especially when the man decides to be unlovable, but you can get a whole lot more out of a man by being submissive. And girl, u gonna have to incorporate it into ur personality in marriage. You have to!

K: True talk, girl. It's very importanat you do. Enjoy your big day, but realise there's a big task ahead.

Deebagg: LOL. Don't blow your persecption out the water, buddy. I am all those things you've described. However, those traits don't keep a marriage together. Like I told Temite, God is wise. He knew we as women could get a whole lot more from the men folk by letting them (think LOL) they have the upper hand. I consider myself a very smart woman, and so I have tried it and it works ;-)

QMoney: Yelz o, marriage bizness na serious somtin lol

Afrobabe: LOL, u are in the same boat with most single ladies. Nothing to be scared about. Make up ur mind to make it work. Realize that ur vows are not for show. They are a convenant (Not in a freaky manner). I've read ur posts so I know u are a xtian, and u understand the meaning of a convenant ;-)

Shonavee: Don't mind that Bumight o! lol Yeah, this post was not intended to reveal this. Initially, it was supposed to be a ghetto wise perspective on a single girl looking into marriage. but somehow, I end up divulging this info, and now, I've lost all my 'would be' toasters (not) *Mock shock* Yeah girl, do not be fooled. It's a toughie. When it's good, it's great. When it's bad, it sucks.

Beula!: I haven't seen you here before. So it takes revealing my 'big secret' to bring you here huh? well I'll keep spilling (NOT LOL). True Talk!

FFF: I am o. I just have an overactive imagination. So I combine stories from my past with experiences from friends, and that's how I write all the crazy stories you read on here. They have some element of truth but may not be all true. Yeah Gurl, It's all God. Doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I am helping you thank God for your husband o, and for mine too (even tho I'm pissed at him right now, and I'm strategizing ways to 'off' him)

Rita: True talk, Rita. True talk!

Funms: LOL. I never did? Somehow, I thot it was a 'known secret' on blogville. You guys write posts that make me sing like a canary in my comments lol. And yes, it goes Waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy beyond ur big day. I can hardly remember the color of my bouquet, and I was so particular about so many things. So much has happened since then.

Oyin: IT does go beyond a great wedding. Many a great wedding have fallen apart. You didn't? lol. Glad this helped a little.

Ibiluv: Iam o, my sista. And yes o, marriage is like a multiple PHD that lasts a lifetime. Your research is never ending.

NBee: MMhm! This post was dedicated to ur punk ass lol. Like I always tell you, God is working on you and ur man, and there's nothing to be scared of. Not that it's going to be perfect bliss (there's no marriage under the sun like that) but it will be wonderful for you, my friend. And ur ass better take me to Miami with you *don't make me come find you with my pink bathrobe and giant rollers (LOL. Inside joke)

Anon: And you will in Jesus name. Yours will be the type of marriage that everyone wants to emulate. Thank u, sista. Been meaning to call you, and I will this weekend.

LRon: :-) I'm glad you can search yourself and do an honest evaluation. Most chics rush blindly into it, without taking God with them.
** Note to my sistas. You will NEED God like you never have, or you will meet the biggest shocker of your life. Let's hope you get wise and take God with you into it.

Burracup: Glad u do, babes ;-). Thanks jare, I try to not become old or reduce my cool factor because i'm married.

H20-works: :-) True talk, and thank you!

SexKitten: :-( I'm sorry to hear that. I am glad that you have learned. I hope this time, you will put God first. We all need him, and married couples need him even more, because the devil is waging war on marriages. Please take your time.

FavoredGirl: Can't wait for your post, Gurl. I read all your posts about your way to the altar a while back, and I have to say, I can relate with most of it. I was sitting there going Yes, YES YES...lol. May God help us all.

Dabizniz: Hmm. Thanks for sharing that from a married man's perspective. I'm glad you put '...unless he is wired wrongly' because even though God's word says that if we are submissive and respective to our husbands, he will show us a lot of love, our culture has turned this on it's head, and men now feel like it's their right. sometimes, when the Mr. starts acting lulu, I remind him of the girl I used to be, and that God IS the reason why I can be submissive and respective when he's acting like a 4 year old. It is abolutely imperative for everyone to go for pre-marital counselling. *do some people still not go these days?* True talk, my brother. I must say that I'm VERY proud of the efforts you've made to get things back right with the Mrs. So proud!

Rose: Yeah gurl, Neffie a bad ass chic. She's the side of me that will rough a heiffer's tail up in the club for looking at her wrongly. Most times though, I am nefertiti, the sane one..lol

*** Chai! I should have done this tin earlier o. I will never wait this long again. This took about 45 minutes of my life. I will respond to ur comments more frequently now. Thank you all for stopping by! *J'adore y'all tres much* Abi Temite, how una dey talk am again?* Damn I miss NDQ!

Geebee said...

You are married? That's one thought that never even crossed my mind once. You've been so perfect with hiding yourself but then blogville indeed has a unique effect on us that make us start revealing our true selves in ways we never imagined. I never thought i'd be doing a story of my life on my blog but alas . . .it's happening live. The marriage talk was just right. Many marriages have failed for one reason or the other. My folks parted ways when I was eight so I definitely agree with you that this thing aint easy at all. It takes special grace to make a marriage work.

Writefreak said...

Sister girl, your post is on point! I's glad the bad Neffie didn't win...oh yes, marriage takes a lot of work, we have to keep working it, but i never want to be single again! I love my Mr too much!

Tigeress said...

lol@ that you need to shine ur eye when entering a marriage if not, love will flog you. I think it might have been my blog.

Didnt know u were married....It's nice to have a married woman's candid opinion about marriage- i hope all the single ladies out here will pay attention to words.
http://thecounselorandherthots.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Hi Sis Neffie, I went and read that post on soulsistahs's blog and I must say my blood pressure has risen a billion notches. I kinda see their point about only submitting to your husband and not to Men. but the problem is if i want to do something and he does not think I should and he gives me no reason why then I am afraid I cant submit. I need a reason and then I will submit to your wisdom.

Writefreak said...

Temite darling, can i butt in and say something? Hope that's ok
I wrote that post and i'm not saying that submission is blind obedience, no not at all, it's not saying YES to everything the Mr says without questioning....he might as well marry a dummy then.
In the words of my Mr, submission is not blind obedience. You have to both arrive at your decisions and no reasonable man will say no to you for a particular thing and not guve you a reason...my Mr and i have disagreed to agree on issues. There have been times when he said No to me on particular issues, he had his good reasons, he gave them to me, because i also have my own intellect and we don't have a servant master relationship, he hears my views and we can then balance our stance and arrive at a win-win situation. Yes there have been initial Nos that became Yes. You only have to know that it's not by force or outright disobedience cos then, you won't have a happy marriage, sorry!
I hope this makes sense to you a bit and if you want to take it any further, i'm available...
Much love!
And Neffie darling, sorry for taking up comment space! Hope your weekend has been worshipful!

olusimeon said...

nefertitiiiiiiiii...nice write..reli on point..

Miss Definitely Maybe said...

wow wise words
a husband is not just for the wedding day
most of us fantasize about our weddings but the dreams dont go further than that.
didnt know you were married though

Buttercup said...

hey sis nefie! just letting u know that i've updated and added ur name! :)

Tari. N said...

Hey..i'm new to your blog.. i liked your post because it was so sincere and i agree with the part when you said that marriage matures you and it really is a growing process...
i dont have much to say but i love your blog and i will be back
Later!!
F.

Anonymous said...

really enjoyed this post!!and that textbook description is so true!

miz-cynic said...

u, nainalines and oluwadee....are the ones who make me wana do this asap.....jinta....and some odas i dont wana mention...make me very scared.I didnt know u were married.how did i miss tht in all of ur posts

Caelestis Angelus! said...

Nice post, right on point. Alot of lessons to be learnt here, ive always known though that getting married is more than the ceremony, its the life after, being responsible for another. This helps me know what im going into. All the best in you marriage girl, your guy sounds good so youve got nothing to worry about