I have added my response to your comments as an update to the blog because I have additional questions for some of the commenters (sp? lol) Please be sure to let me know what you think about the follow up questions. You male bloggers will not kill me o!I'll start by giving you my definition of cheating. Cheating to me is doing anything that you are not able to do in the presence of your partner to or with another individual. During courtship, my friends would think I was crazy when I would allow the Mr. to stare at a lady with a fat yansh, or a low cut blouse. WAIT, WAIT! before you think I've lost my mind. Here's how I analyzed it. Men are physical beings, and even if I were beyonce or halle berry, he would still ogle the opposite sex when I wasn't looking. So I figured instead of setting myself up for an early death from disappointment or High blood pressure, why don't you let him stare to his heart's content? He ain't touching nothing *insert evil laugh* and if he gets a woody, take him home and make good use of that woody ;-)plus na the chic dey sell property nau, I'd even be the person to call his attention to it sef. (Why do ladies feel they have to 'nekked' themselves to draw attention to their sexiness? I don't get it. Why buy the cow when you can drink the milk?- Story for another post)
So recently, we saw the video of Trading Places by Usher on YouTube, amidst talks of his wife being banned from the set after she pulled a tantrum on the set of "love in this club". I was appalled at how far he went with the actress in the video (Yes I know he's an entertainer and all, BUT). I was telling the Mr. that if I were his wife, I'd have set that boundary a long time ago. Usher does not have to try that hard to make the ladies hot. He's got that boyish charm that doesn't require effort to make the ladies want to take their VS off. So the question was posed to me, Nefertiti, do you think Usher cheated on his wife by the content of that video, and I must say that I'm torn because I can argue both sides of the equation quite well.
For men, for the most part, cheating is defined as going all the way with another female. So if you ask man, what would you do if your wife or woman went to dinner with another man, they'd probably ask you if she slept with the man. If you answer no, they'll probably say they'd forgive her. Should you say yes, you might hear responses like "damn, I don't know", "I'd dump her ASAP", "Say What?"... If you ask a woman however, she'd ask you back things like "Does he love the other woman?" "Why did he do it?" "Maybe it's something I did" *insert a WTF look* That's the one that bugs me the most. Like why do you feel you might have done something wrong for him to cheat on you? How about maybe he's just a no-good-two face-lying ass-nucca who would bang his mother if she were available? Anyways, I digress.
Although I think most women would agree with me on the definition of cheating, I also think that most men would have the "Go all the way theory" for cheating. So tell me peoples, how do you define cheating? and how long a leash would you give your partner before you kick their ass to the curb? How far would you go to consider your own actions cheating?
Oh, I can run my mouth now. I VOTED, DAMMIT!
~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~**~*~*~
Bumight, congratulobia :-D
Funms, Yep. I agree. That's the weird thing about men. They can do all that mess, but let another man handle their women like that, dem eye go red.
Secret Dairy, better not let K whoop ur ass... lol. I have no idea who you are, and I can't figure you out by reading ur blog. What category am I spsd to vote u for huh?
AWLD: Hmm. In thot too? Interesting. It's always a good idea to set those boundaries early.
Temite: Fa eti e, ko lo si class.
Bumight (Again):I agree.
RocNaija: Hmm. Depends on what his Definition of "Sexual relations" is. Apparently, he doesn't consider Monica 'swallowing' as SR.But anyhus, I am a fan- 'atic' of Ushers' but I do realize that he's a married man, I expect his conduct to change to accomodate his marital status. And the answer to your question is NO, I wouln't marry an entertainer in the first place, becos I know I prolly couldn't handle groupies (I'm fixin to slap a heiffer who comes too close). A pre-nup is always a good idea ;-)
Afrobabe: Always an exception to a woman's reasoning, u are. Are u sure about that? Are u saying if ur man spent all his time with another woman, confided in her instead of you, but tells you he's not sleeping with her, you wouldn't care? Interesting!
Jinta: He is. And it's confirmed. I HATE U! lol How can u say that? Because you don't get caught doesn't make it right. Please tell me u are just tryna raise my BP... lol
DBagg: Yep, ur assumption on my definition is spot on. Tamekka messed herself up by acting out of character on set. Now all them skinny heiffers know how to get her goat. She set herself up for more heartache.
Dabizniz: Huh? Not getting caught? Looks like u male bloggers want to gimme HBP but God no go gree una. Does not getting caught make it right?
Miss DM: Yep, I have that same thot about cheating (I'd be hurt more if I found out he loves the other woman) I dunno about the one strike and then u're out thing tho. If ur spouse cheats on u, would u kick him to the curb? Altho it's not right, I think cheating in marriage tends to be often forgiven. What do you think?
Sirius: LOL @ 'and if u don't have a conscience..." It think most men don't if so. I like ur "Do unto others as you would like them to do unto you" Parallel.
K: Tell it girl! Don't u just hate that shit? They ask for the girl's number, but they already made up their mind that they gon' hit that if the situation ever presents itself. Yep I agree. I made up my mind early about entertainers. I respect the women who marry them. I sure as hell couldn't do it. I think I'd snatch a heifer's eyeballs out her skinny forehead if she so much as licks her lips at my man.
SIDENOTE to K: Gurl, I have no idea. I went to his site to investigate him, and I couldn't figure him or her out. Maybe u can. I told him u gon kick his ass tho... lol
Jaguda: True talk, my brother. True Talk!
NBee: Yep, I would like to know so I can start taking steps to change it (when I was single tho, I'd go on a flirting rampage after kicking the nucca's ass to the curb ;-)) Your last line had me thinking tho. We dance back from the situation as woman too tho, do you know that? cos If we are having long, romantic talks with a member of the opposite sex, we do not acknowledge having cheated until we are either caught, or we end up sleeping with the guy. Hmmm *Nefie still thinking*
Burracup: But then, burracup. If ur partner did what Usher did under the label of "I'm an entertainer" like the male commenters have pointed out, what would you do? He's ur hubby. Would u kick him to the curb? Divorce him? How far would you go to show ur disapproval?
Temite (Again) See me see dem o! lol. I like the "Do unto others..." parallel. U no get umbrella ni? Fine gyal like u...lol Yeah, u got serious issues, girl.
Luscious: Abeg helep me o, my sista. I don talk say God no go gree dem kill me with High blood pressure. What if you aren't caught? Isn't it still cheating?
Qmoney: Hmm. U do have a double standard, sistah gurl. Lemme give you an example. What if if ur man spent all his time with another woman, confided in her instead of you. Would you then say he is cheating, or would you wait till u catch him on top of the other woman? Investigating u just means I paid ur blog a visit ;-) Congratulations again.
Jide: Np sir. I like ur Unfaithfulness analogy. To answer your question, I think a wet dream is just biology. Altho some might argue that it is cheating in your mind. the mind is very powerful, and so I won't call THAT cheating.
JT: lol... She said chics are paranoid. I think we are just different from the male specie in our views on cheating. You didn't ramble. You made absolute sense! and I agree.
Rayo: I'm not sure how Funms would answer that question, but permit me to butt in here. If you are having intimate conversations with him that you cannot have in fron of your man, then I would term that cheating on some level. I love u, but that's my take on things.
45 comments:
FURSTTTTTT BABY!!!!!!!!!
Christ! I'm not even done reading it for the 3rd time. Jeezos! lol
great post....... like u said, cheating to me is doing what i wont wanna tell my spouse without a second thought....... as women, what me msotly do is emotional cheating. confiding in another man, having long conversations and that in my opinion is cheating
guys are more physical and if he engages in things that ordinariyl he will be angry if i do with another guy, then its cheating.
as per usher, the question is will he like his wife to be handled ny another man that way he was with the actress?
Aboki, make you vote for me for President of Nigerian Bloggers. I go give you flenty, flenty contract to build internet super expressway.
I hate the whole concept of cheating, i really cant stand cheating. Cheating to me is anything intimate he does in thought or in the actual act. i am a jealous person so definitely i always try to set my boundaries from the start.....but they still end up cheating though. I love ur post
Cheating cheating. I have to go to class so Imma be back to comment properly.
cheating is cheating, but i think it hurts a girl more if he loves her...
*Bill Clinton's voice echoes in the background*
"I did not have sexual relations with that woman"
What Usher does is what brings home the bacon.. It's fair to assume his boyish sexiness should do.. but what if it's not enough for his fans? what if his album had flopped at the Mrs behest..
Would that make him love her more for the tantrums she pulled..?
So Nefe.. you're saying you would set the boudaries early.. you telling me if Usher had proposed to you.. You would have said.. "Only on the condition you dont dance with women in your videos.. take me on tour with you.. don't ban me from the set.. bla.. bla.."
Kinda like a pre-nup right?
Interestin'..
Cheating to me is going all the way...if my husband is discreet about it I doubt if I'll give a hoot...
As for usher, he was just doing his job...dont hate the player, hate the game...
didn't even know usher was married.
cheating is when you get caught.
I think i like the definition of cheating "doing anything that you are not able to do in the presence of your partner to or with another individual". I think that assumes that boundaries need to be set or at least known - and that they are mutual.
I'd also expect that peeps who are in a relationship deserve the opportunity to talk about any issues that come up -- if Usher's wife was riled by the contact - maybe it could have been brought up discreetly instead of her having to be hauled off set......
Cheating is about not getting caught, but also how far you intended to go knowingly
To me cheating is about feelings not necessarily about the act. I will be hurt more if i found out my partner 'loved' someone else than the mere fact that he cheated....but....I do not tolerate cheating at all, its one strike and you are out for me
Hmmmm.................
Cheating is doing stuff your conscience tells you is wrong.
And if you don't have a conscience.....cheating is doing whatever you know you don't want done to you with someone else other than your other half.
I agree with you...if you can't do it in front of me in plain view and sight with me knowing exactly what you are up to then its cheating...and I have two categories a)premeditated cheating b)and in the act cheating...
YES you heard me pre-meditated...that ish when he accepts a girls number or asks a girl for her number when you know there is nothing platonic about their getting to know each other.
As for Mr U-turn you know men in the INDUSTRY...I have always said you date/marry a man who is either an actor or an artist where those situations are the norm then you have to accept that you have a different sort of relationship and can not get mad and jump to conclusions all the damn time because you will look and feel like a fool. However once those camera's stop rolling he's back to being Usher Raymond and needs to act like it too.
SIDENOTE NEFIE: WTF is it with some bloggers who have NEVER commented on your site b4 coming to comment on your blog BUT NOT about your post but about VOTING for their ass in Naija blogville..I think that is hella rude!
first of all usher is an entertainer and his wife KNEW he was b4 marrying him so it all comes with it, millions of dollars et al. lovely post here and i must say u r spot on with ur observation from both sides of the coin.unfortunately cheating will always be with us in this world. its how we deal with it that makes us stronger or weaker.
Nefie, I have a bone to pick with you o, but I shall not air our linens in public. :)
I think your definition of cheating is really appropriate, we all try to say what's ok or what's not, but I think whatever cant be said or done with the knowledge of the other, is cheating
That being said, I would like to understand why we women are more forgiving or dare I say even more tolerant of a cheating partner.For men, it is an almost unforgivable crime. And if your man was cheating on you would you really want to know? And then if you knew what would you do? Like you rightly said, most of us girls would ask a bunch of self-deprecating questions
So if we go by your definition, then I think almost everyone has cheated, is cheating or will cheat
ur definition of cheating is very accurate..a person who cheats KNOWS when they cheat, a rocket scientist doesnt need to point it out..
yes, usher's wife shud have set the boundaries if she knew she'd be causing scenes all about..usher's one of my boos but that video was over the top mehn..i know i wont stand for it, entertainer or not!
see my people offering opinion left right and center. Have u noticed all the men in the house, excluding lovely Danny, are all saying cheating is about not getting caught. Wait until I tell all your wives or significant other. mscheeeeew, nonsense and ingredients.
Sister sister, yeah cheating is anything you will have a problem with if it is done to you. C'est fini. Because there really isnt any universal definition of cheating, so it is always based on the two people involved. See I have a test tomorrow, just got back from school and I am wet from head to toe and I am sitting here commenting. I really think I have a problem. Sis, do you know of any blogging AA. Noooonsense.
I don laff tire for people's definition of cheating, the guys are outrageous.
My own take on it is cheating is what i wouldn't like to be caught doing. Temite & K are right on.
Hmmmmm,i have double standards wen it comes to cheating and am ashamed of it.
MY beau stares wen he sees well endowed people oh,he even calls me to look self....silly child,i dont like it wen he's gettin too friendly with a female but i DONT call it cheating.
I recently asked a friend of mine that used to have feelings for me buy me a plane ticket,now there is NOTHING between us,i jus milked his soft spot for me but i cant let beau know even if my siblings know.
if he buys a ticket for a girl,i would scream BLUE murder but i still wont call it cheating.
enuf of my rambligs,for me cheating gan gan is once u get intimate physically.okwia...
infact,we have to differntiate this cheating,marriage and courtship cheatin should be different:)
by the way,how did u investigate me?lol
thanks for stopping by...
Nefertiti,
I am here. Wow...what a session? what a discussion?
Cheating heh?
To me, cheating is unfaithfulness, period.
It does not have to get physical for it to be termed cheating! There is no little cheating. Unfaithfulness in the mind could be by having secret conversations on the phone to another one or by writing letters that are LOVEly.
Let me ask, what happens when you have a wet dream and you know in your heart of hearts that it has nothing to do with your partner?
Ladies and a few gentle men, in my book that is called cheating.
Nice one Nefertiti. Will be back.
Most people, especially chics, are paranoid. So i wld say that cheating to a chic is staring too long at another chic..lol!
but to a guy, like u said, it kissing, necking or going all the way with another guy.
To me, cheating is lusting after someone else, even if u did not go all the way. You know u can cheat wit ur emotions also.
i think i just rambled...but yeah! awesome post!
weeelll, rili i take the 'female' pov here. but funms how can u call having long convos with anor guy cheating? i have a male best friend, so do intimate convos with him count as cheatin on my boyfi?
As for looking, i see nothing wrong with it as long as either parties are not drooling. It's window shopping without going into the shops and purchasing.
If a husband is attracted to a tall slim yellow babe like his wife- guess what? His Mrs. won't be the only that will be tall slim and yellow. So women who throw tantrums becos hubby is using one eye to look at next babe- will just give themself hypertention.
Me my eyes aint blind. I wld always check out tall slim dark guys.
As for Usher- dont get me started there. I know dude is short but i'm absolutely in love with him! lol!!!
let me just be a chicken and say that theres no way in hell im gonna marry an entertainer cos i really dunno what i'd do!
First, I love that definition of 'cheating.' Doing what you won't be able to do in front of your partner . . . even if it is wearing thesame panties three days in a row. lol. Thanks for the rope jo. Men are physical beings and as such we always naturally want to stare at even women that are not even half as pretty as our spouses. I guess it's a reflex action. Looking at it from the other angle (the guy's angle now), I believe women should be more protective of their bodies than the men. Maybe it's just a naturally ordained situation. A man can sleep with another woman and be forgiven by his woman but if a woman tries such with another man, wao! For me, that's likely the end of us o. Sounds selfish I know, but trust me, most guys would tell you thesame thing. Even if the man forgives, the memory would haunt him forever and that relationship would hardly remain thesame. . . The longest leash I'd give my woman is allowing her to be hugged (the chest and breasts shouldn't have more than a nanosecond contact though) or pecked (on the cheek only!) by another man.
rayo, u already know the guy in ur case is ur male best friend. so thats not cheating there... but imagine this, Girl meets Boy, and they start talking. girl realises boy is giving her more attention than her boyfriend, she starts chatting, texting, calling him more often, they develop a sudden friendship and she starts confiding in him things she would normally tell her bf..... as women we r emotional beings and we run quickly to the person that gives us the most attention. that in my opinion is emotional cheating.... being close and intimate with another guy whos not ur boyfriend or best friend (and if hes ur best friend, he must have been one before u started dating ur man)....
lol @ RocNaija's Bill Clinton impersonation.
I can't touch this one. Everyone above done yarn well, well.
NIGERIAN CURIOSITY
IT WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I ONLY HAD ONE...
na wa o,i just dey hear as girls dey criticize us up n down,cheating!!! i personally beleive that there is little cheating and the gan gan one though, shey if u sleep girl house ,make the girl come dey rub ur body 4 nite,wetin make i do ?leave am?of course not!!!!!!dats not cheating .To ladies guys should be blind to everything nice,don't u peeps look at fine boys too?instead of us being jealous i tend to look at the other guy looking at my chick with the na me get am eyes,so i advice u ladies try do the same.cheating where does it begin,where does it end!
How come i missed that post on cheating??? No o
Cheating to me is getting emotionally involved with someone who isn't your partner and running to them fo emotional support...that's where it starts i suppose, not when they're both nakid!
eeeek this is so bladdy cliche and stereotypical, but it would hurt me more if my partner had this chick best friend who he told absolutely everything, even stuff about us, and basically invested emotion into their friendship, than if he shagged some nobody...what sort of nonsense is that abi?..that being said, i am SO that girl :P and if my bestys girlfriends can't deal wiv it...i...er...apologise
as for guys though...shebi we all remember Mr.Hillary Clinton (cuz he is so in the background now :P) and how he did not have sexual relations with that woman...even if some wives still refuse to do what she did...so only actual kpenshin counts wiv most guys...
cheating is cheating though, all these are generalizations, and if doing something, anything with a member of the opposite sex has the potential of hurting your partner, stay tha hell away from it!!!
You know i have read this post 2ce, and i wasn't going to leave any comment, that is until i read this response from HERMES
"if u sleep girl house ,make the girl come dey rub ur body 4 nite,wetin make i do ?leave am?of course not!!!!!!dats not cheating"
without any rude intentions, i just want to say that has to be the dumbest shyt i've read all year.
As in if she's rubbing up against you and SO????
It's called self discipline,self control and freedom of choice and that is what differentiates us humans from dogs and goats!
i absolutely agree with you on the cheating thing. and also on usher not trying so hard. we thinking alike. lol. my first time here though. like what i see and will be back
actualli, seriously...lets not do grey areas...doing stuff u cant do in the precence of ur partner with someone else is cheating o..as for usher..he and his wife sld have settled what lines he couldn't cross while doing his "job"..
hi nefertiti..
i agree with the definition 'Doing what you won't be able to do in front of your partner'
ive seen bits of the usher video...and they were real steamy...i cudnt even watch it properly lest popcy gvs me back hand slap...am sure sure it didnt sit too well with his wifey n dey really need to sit down talk abt wer to draw d line..or else kata kata go burst..
ok, when u put it that way. i gues i understand but its still not cheating i think. cheating has to an emotional, i like this guy i'd lyk to d8, shag him, i think
SIS, Its been a while, this is me calling to check on you. Holla back ok!
Cheating is not and will never be gender specific and so, when you talk about it, do so from the perspective that it takes two to tango.
U've been quiet.
Nefie darling! Where r u? Hope u r ok?? We miss u!
Lady when are you updating? Hope you are doing fine. Haven't seen you around lately
Real talk.I mean even Halle Berry got cheated on by that dude Eric Benet when they were going out-and she's what the sexiest black woman alive?
The motive for cheating is the notion that one isn't going to get caught-same applies to both genders. And in the event that one does get caught -there are always two options: a: admit that you were wrong and seek forgiveness, or b: turn the tables and put the blame on them instead !
Lol, see me coming in almost a month later. Anyhow sha, everybody has said the main points about this topic, but let me just add that you don't have to touch someone to be cheating with them. Emotional cheating is far worse than the physical atimes. Emike, I don't have an issue with my man looking at other women, I do my own share of looking at men. And I think that people will always lust after others they meet, regardless of whether you're in a relationship or not. If your partner tells you there's no lusting going on, well...they're lying o!! The secrecy is the part I wouldn't forgive, so all those who cheated and said 'Oh, I won't tell because I don't want to hurt her" it's RUBBISH. You're just too much of a punk ass to deal with the consequences of your waywardness. Harlots! Hahaha!
Don't blame me if I sound unhinged o, I'm sleepy :)
Post a Comment